BROOKHAVEN, Miss. (WJTV) -- The Brookhaven Police Department recovered two card skimmers at a gas station Monday.
Officers received reports of credit card fraud. They were able to track the fraud to a pay at the pump transaction.
Authorities said criminals wait for the store to close and use a duplicate key or pick set open the pump. Police said the criminals could then insert a device into the wiring that captures and retransmits the signal for download to a computer or tablet device.
Authorities are warning customers about this crime. Below are some tips
- Only use stations that are lighted well and have ample video coverage of the gas pumps
- Take the extra time and pay inside the store with a credit card purchase
- Monitor your credit card statements often and report any suspicious activity
Brookhaven Police posted a video talking about the crime on its Facebook page.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- State Supreme Court quashes Costco development in Ridgeland
- Court sides with sanctuary cities in fight over grants
- Armenian protesters to renew efforts to stop capital traffic
- Police say teen who searched for missing pal was his killer