JACKSON, Miss (WJTV) - A national scam where callers impersonate utility representatives in attempt to get money has reached Mississippi.
The caller tells a customer their bill is past due and they will be disconnected unless a payment is made. The scam directs the person to send money electronically using something like "MoneyPak" or "Greendot". The scammers also use technology to spoof the customer into thinking the call is from Entergy.
Representatives with Entergy gave a number of tips to help customers protect their personal financial information:
- Never give personal information to a stranger.
- If the call sounds suspicious, contact 800-ENTERGY and ask to speak to a rep.
- Entergy will only ask you to make your payment through BillMatrix, and the call has to be initiated by the customer.
- To manage your Entergy account 24/7 and review account alert options to stay better informed, download the free Entergy smartphone app or visit entergy.com to register for myAccount online.
- Only use authorized methods and legitimate banking information.
- Pay online
- Pay by phone
- Set up an automatic bank draft
If you believe you are a victim or if you have received a call, contact the state attorney general's office.