VICKSBURG, Miss (WJTV) - A tow carrying 30 barges south on the Mississippi River has hit the Old Vicksburg Bridge according to the Warren County Sheriff's Department.
Several of the barges broke loose. Ergon Marine responded and quickly rounded up and contained the loose barges except for one which is sinking. None of the barges were carrying hazardous material. The barge that is sinking contains several tons of corn.
The Jeffrey G. is owned by Marquette Marine out of Paducah, Kentucky. The barges connected to the tow are owned by several different companies.
Doug Hasty with Ergon Marine says while it is not unusual for vessels to hit a bridge, he believes this is the first incident this year.
According to Mississippi Bridge Commissioner Herman Smith, the tow hit pier 4 on the Louisiana side of the channel span. An inspection will be conducted to make sure that pier is structurally sound.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Facebook to label election-related 'issue ads' in US
- Jury recommends $25M in Johnson & Johnson lawsuit
- Alarmed: LeBron, Cavs facing win-or-else Game 6 vs Celtics
- Trump aims to make it easier for companies to get to space