Many high school basketball teams across Mississippi have prepared and practiced long hours for a shot at winning a state championship. For the Pine Belt Region two teams have emerged ahead of the pack to compete in the 2018 5A girls State Championship. The Hattiesburg High Tigers and the West Jones Mustangs both clinched championship berths on Tuesday with semi-final wins. Hattiesburg took down Lafayette County 56-42 while their upcoming championship opponent beat Ridgeland 72-60 in the semi-final round. Hattiesburg High led by head Coach Caronica Jackson has put together a 25-6 record over the course of this season while West Jones led by Coach Sharon Murray has just one more win than the Tigers on the season 26-3. The two teams will face off in a 5A clash on Friday March 9th at 6 pm and despite which squad comes out as the winner a trophy will be returning to the Pine belt region.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal after more than 21 years
- Koreas set up hotline between leaders ahead of summit
- Basque militant group ETA: 'We really are sorry'
- Volcano in southern Japan erupts for 1st time in 250 years