WJTV News Channel 12 - 5K walk to benefit victims of Oakwood home invasion

5K walk to benefit victims of Oakwood home invasion

Posted: Updated:
Members of ROC Fellowship Church hold a prayer walk in the Historic Oakwood Neighborhood. Members of ROC Fellowship Church hold a prayer walk in the Historic Oakwood Neighborhood.
RALEIGH, N.C. -

The YMCA Y Guides tribes will host a 5K walk for the victims of an early-January home invasion in Raleigh's Oakwood neighborhood.

The walk, which gets started at 9 a.m. on Saturday in front of 519 E. Lane Street, benefits a husband and wife who were attacked in their home in the Historic Oakwood Neighborhood.

Raleigh Police say brother Jahaad Tariem Allah Marshall and Shabar Master Marshall broke into the home of Jason Beyer and his wife around 3:30 a.m. on Jan. 7.

Beyer was shot in that back when he tried to confront the men, who were sexually assaulting his wife. Authorities say the female victim escaped the suspects and ran to a neighbor's house, where police were called to the home.

As a result of the shooting, Beyer is now paralyzed and undergoing physical therapy. Despite the circumstances, Beyer remains positive ans says he and his wife are thankful to be alive.

"It wasn't the perfect outcome, but my wife got out relatively unharmed and I got out alive as well," Beyer said.

Money raised through the walk, organizers say, will go toward the couple's medical expenses and making their home wheelchair accessible.

Beyer's co-worker and friend, Brian Peters, organized the 5K with his daughter's Y Guides tribe.

"It started as 17 dads and 18 girls, and blossomed to over a 130 participants so far," Peters explained. The event coordinators set a goal to raise $10,000, and they have already exceeded that goal, raising almost $23,000.

Since the attacks, ROC Fellowship Church has held two prayer walks a month in the neighborhood.

"It amazes us every day," Beyers said of the community support he and his wife have received. "The support that started from that night all the way until now continues to persist.

"We couldn't be more thankful -- it's amazing."

Jahaad Marshall is charged with one count of first-degree burglary, two counts of first-degree kidnapping, one count of attempted murder, one count of attempted first-degree rape and one count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Shabar Marshall is charged with one count of first-degree burglary, two counts of first-degree kidnapping, one count of attempted murder and one count of first-degree forcible sex offense.

Because she is a victim of a sexual assault, WNCN is choosing to withhold the name of Beyer's wife.

RELATED STORIES

RELATED LINKS

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Wilson community holds vigil for slain 7-year-old boy

    Monday, July 28 2014 4:58 AM EDT2014-07-28 08:58:46 GMT
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
    Hundreds stood outside the Wilson County Courthouse on Sunday night to help a family grieve four days after 7-year-old Kamari Jones was shot and killed in his own home.
  • 2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    2 charged with first-degree murder in beating death of UNC professor, cancer researcher

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:00 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:00:14 GMT
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
    A UNC research professor was robbed and beaten to death Wednesday afternoon on University Drive in Chapel Hill, police said.
  • Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Stolen dinosaur replica returned to Raleigh museum

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:13 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:13:16 GMT
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
    A model of a baby dinosaur that was stolen from the Museum of Natural Sciences has been returned to the museum, officials said at a news conference Monday.
Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.