WJTV News Channel 12 - Carbon monoxide leak at Washington County Detention Center cause

Carbon monoxide leak at Washington County Detention Center causes inmates to pass out

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • 10 indicted on numerous drug charges in Southwest Virginia

    10 indicted on numerous drug charges in Southwest Virginia

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:09 AM EDT2014-08-01 15:09:57 GMT
    Sixty-four felony indictments were placed against 10 people following a two-year investigation conducted by the Washington County, Va. Sheriff’s Office, Smyth County Sheriff’s Office, Virginia State Police, ATF and the DEA.
    Sixty-four felony indictments were placed against 10 people following a two-year investigation conducted by the Washington County, Va. Sheriff’s Office, Smyth County Sheriff’s Office, Virginia State Police, ATF and the DEA.
  • July Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    July Mugshots - Northeast Tennessee

    Monday, July 28 2014 3:21 PM EDT2014-07-28 19:21:09 GMT
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in July by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
    The following are mugshots of individuals arrested on a variety of charges in July by local authorities in Northeast Tennessee.
  • Too many students on water slide lead to collapse and injuries

    Too many students on water slide lead to collapse and injuries

    Friday, August 1 2014 9:22 AM EDT2014-08-01 13:22:18 GMT
    A water slide in Florida collapsed Thursday, injuring 13 high school students and sending five of them to hospitals. The Fleming Island High School band was hosting a pool party at the Eagle Harbor Community pool at the time. Fire officials say there were 10 to 15 people on the slide, even though a sign on the stairs said only one person should be on the slide at a time.About one-third of the slide collapsed into a retention pond next to the pool. Most of the injuries were said to be minor, w...
    A water slide in Florida collapsed Thursday, injuring 13 high school students and sending five of them to hospitals. The Fleming Island High School band was hosting a pool party at the Eagle Harbor Community pool at the time. Fire officials say there were 10 to 15 people on the slide, even though a sign on the stairs said only one person should be on the slide at a time.About one-third of the slide collapsed into a retention pond next to the pool. Most of the injuries were said to be minor, w...
WASHINGTON COUNTY, TN (WJHL) -

A carbon monoxide leak at the Washington County Detention Center caused several inmates to get sick and pass out.

Sheriff Ed Graybeal tells News Channel 11 that in the middle of Saturday night, several inmates passed out and had nausea and headaches.

In this News Channel 11 exclusive, we're told detention center officials had to evacuate the cells.

EMA Director Nes Levotch said the problem was a faulty water heater, that was bought just last year, was causing carbon monoxide to leak into the cells.

Sheriff Graybeal credits the detention center for their swift action, and says 51 inmates could have died.

Officials thought there were detectors in the jail, but Sheriff Graybeal said they are now working with the commission to get them installed.

Copyright 2013 WJHL. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.