WJTV News Channel 12 - Presence of dog may have helped save carbon monoxide victims

Presence of dog may have helped save people poisoned by carbon monoxide in Bristol, VA

Posted: Updated:
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • NC Grandfather & grandson dead after more than 90 shots fired into home

    NC Grandfather & grandson dead after more than 90 shots fired into home

    Thursday, July 31 2014 6:44 AM EDT2014-07-31 10:44:23 GMT
    A grandfather and his 10-year-old grandson were killed Wednesday morning when the man's son-in-law fired more than 90 rounds at his home just outside of Fayetteville. The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said 61-year-old Gary Simpson, and Simpson's 10-year-old grandson, Trekwan Covington, were shot and killed Wednesday when 41-year-old Andrew Michaelis fired more than 90 rounds at Simpson's home on New Moon Drive.Trekwan Covington's father Kelly Covington said he was at work when his ex-wif...
    A grandfather and his 10-year-old grandson were killed Wednesday morning when the man's son-in-law fired more than 90 rounds at his home just outside of Fayetteville. The Cumberland County Sheriff's Office said 61-year-old Gary Simpson, and Simpson's 10-year-old grandson, Trekwan Covington, were shot and killed Wednesday when 41-year-old Andrew Michaelis fired more than 90 rounds at Simpson's home on New Moon Drive.Trekwan Covington's father Kelly Covington said he was at work when his ex-wif...
  • SC baby found 12 lbs under weight in filth, parents vanish, authorities say

    SC baby found 12 lbs under weight in filth, parents vanish, authorities say

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:49:56 GMT
    Garten and Schultz..Garten and Schultz..
    Authorities are looking for parents of a baby boy who have fled since their house was checked by DSS and baby taken by authorities last week, officials said. On Friday July 25 officers responded to a home on Jesse Round Lane in Colleton County for
    Authorities are looking for parents of a baby boy who have fled since their house was checked by DSS and baby taken by authorities last week, officials said. On Friday July 25 officers responded to a home on Jesse Round Lane in Colleton County for
  • Screams, panic caught on video as shark charges at swimmers near beach

    Screams, panic caught on video as shark charges at swimmers near beach

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:48:04 GMT
    Facebook image from Dan FlynnFacebook image from Dan Flynn
    A Florida beach cleared out – with the exception of a woman and lifeguard who tried to save her – when a shark was spotted heading straight toward swimmers on Tuesday afternoon. The panic of the 10-foot shark and people screaming from the pier was caught on tape.
    A Florida beach cleared out – with the exception of a woman and lifeguard who tried to save her – when a shark was spotted heading straight toward swimmers on Tuesday afternoon. The panic of the 10-foot shark and people screaming from the pier was caught on tape.
BRISTOL, VA (WJHL) -

Firefighters say five people went to a local hospital after they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning in a Bristol, Virginia home around 2:30 Friday morning. One firefighter even tells News Channel 11 a dog in the house likely alerted people in the home of the problem.

An official with the Bristol, Virginia Fire Department says people in a house on New Hampshire Avenue ran a generator in a crawl space to provide the home with lights. The house is currently without electricity.

The fire department says someone in the house noticed the dog was starting to get sick. That's when someone walked outside of the house to get the dog milk when firefighters say that person passed out in the street, according to the fire department. The fire department official says emergency crews then came to the home and noticed several people who were sick and took five of them to the hospital. They have all since been released from the hospital.

The fire department official says those five people could have died if they were asleep when the generator was causing carbon monoxide levels to rise in the home.

Bristol, Virginia Fire Department officials say they want everyone to know that running a generator in a home is never a good idea and could easily lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Look for more on this story on News Channel 11.

Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.