WJTV News Channel 12 - Family dog resuscitated, survives Holly Springs fire

Family dog resuscitated, survives Holly Springs fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo from Holly Springs Fire Dept. Photo from Holly Springs Fire Dept.
HOLLY SPRINGS, N.C. -

Holly Springs firefighters revived a family pet trapped during a house fire early Sunday morning.

The alarm came in shortly after midnight at 5041 Sunset Fairways Drive. 

The family had escaped the house, but told firefighters their 13-year-old family pet was still inside.

Firefighters began an immediate search and found the dog unconscious in a bedroom closet. 

Firefighters and EMS workers revived the dog using an oxygen mask made for animals. The fire department provided a picture of the dog with an oxygen line being used as a leash. They reported the dog was running around when they left the scene.

The fire caused an estimated $200,000 damage and is being blamed on spontaneous combustion of some teak oil-soaked rags left on an enclosed porch.

Fire Chief LeRoy Smith cautioned homeowners to be aware that rags soaked in teak or linseed oil can catch fire on their own in certain conditions.

Smith said oil cloths should not be brought inside. They should be stored in air tight containers, preferably made of metal. If the rags are going to be thrown away, they should either be dried on a clothing line or soaked in water and sealed in a plastic bag. 

Smith also reminded homeowners they should have working smoke detectors on each floor. 

 

Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.