By the looks of the Villages at Garst Creek apartments Tuesday you wouldn't know about the chaos that happened the night before.
Neighbor Mitch Hayth says he was at work when the fire happened.
"My wife said the apartment downstairs is on fire and she is getting the kids out now," Hayth said.
That's the phone call Hayth got Monday night from his wife. They both live in the apartment, along with their children, right above the one that caught fire.
When police arrived flames were coming from this window after a stove fire smothered the apartment with smoke. The smoke was so heavy it forced the Hayths to leave their home for the night.
"It smells terrible up there, it's still really smokey. I'm pretty sure its going to last for a while."
Neighbor Julie Hubert said Police and volunteer fire fighters frantically knocked on doors to wake neighbors and alert them about tht fire.
"The people inside didn't even answer so they had to break the door down."
You can still see the marks.
Hubert took pictures of the scene as rescue crews dragged out the two tenants from their home.
They suffered from smoke inhalation and were transported to Carilion hospital.
"They pulled them out within seconds," Hubert said.
She credits their saved lives to the brave men who went in after them.