Just before 4:00 Friday afternoon, Flora first responders were called to a house fire on the 4700 block of Highway 22.
"Upon arrival, we had a fully-involved house with fire, as well as obvious gas leak," says Flora Police Chief Dwayne Moak. "Flames spewing out from the gas line. The house was completely demolished by the explosion."
About a half-mile stretch of Highway 22 was closed for several hours Friday evening. Police say because the gas was still turned on, they didn't want people too close to the scene.
"The main thing we did upon arrival was to try to clear out the neighboring houses and make sure in case there were any further explosions that we weren't going to have any injuries," he tells us.
Atmos Energy was on the scene working to turn off the natural gas to the home.
"More than likely there was some type of gas leak or something left on inside," says Chief Moak. "It's pure speculation at this point, but that seems the most logical."
According to the chief, no one was actually living in the home, and there are no injuries to report.
First responders can't stress enough: if you smell gas in or around your home, call your energy company immediately to prevent a possible explosion like the one Friday in Flora.
1820 TV Road
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2013 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.