WJTV News Channel 12 - Fugitive recounts ordeal at Pinellas drug rehab

Fugitive recounts ordeal at Pinellas drug rehab

Posted: Updated:
Ray Harris, director of Simply Hope Ray Harris, director of Simply Hope
Mugshot of Andrea Giamportone, who claims she fled Simply Hope after Ray Harris' advances Mugshot of Andrea Giamportone, who claims she fled Simply Hope after Ray Harris' advances
Korrine Burdick, another woman who claims Harris made sexual advances Korrine Burdick, another woman who claims Harris made sexual advances
HERNANDO COUNTY, FL (WFLA) -

Andrea Giamportone is a fugitive from the law. She has been in hiding for 5 years.

Giamportone, 32, emerged from her out-of-state sanctuary long enough to explain to 8 On Your Side what she claims happened to her at the Simply Hope drug rehab program in Pinellas County, and why she ran from it and its director, a man named Ray Harris.

"He would basically try to kiss me anytime we were alone, you know pulling me on the side of the house where I was staying at," Giamportone said.

Giamportone spoke to 8 On Your Side via Skype.  She says she is more than 1,000 miles away from the state of Florida, incarceration and Ray Harris.

A Pinellas judge sent her to the Simply Hope rehab program in 2007, following a series of drug-related arrests and a DUI crash that seriously injured another driver.

Records show she repeatedly violated probation.  She had been in the county jail for 4 months in late 2007 when Harris agreed to take her into his program.

"He picked me up from jail and as soon as I got out, sitting in the lobby, he gave me a kiss on the mouth.  At the time it was awkward, but you're so vulnerable and you're just so happy to be out the doors, that it really didn't register as a problem in my head until later on, unfortunately," she said.

Simply Hope is part of the Pinellas court jail diversion program.  It offers housing for drug abusers trying to get clean.  Tax dollars pay to house some clients there.

Ray Harris is Simply Hope's director and a member of its board of directors.  Harris is a convicted felon who claims to have turned his life around.  His reports on Simply Hope clients carry great weight with the courts.  Those reports help determine who stays in his drug rehab program and who goes to jail.

During Andrea Giamportone's roughly 3 months at Simply Hope, she remembers she and Harris flirted with one another and he took her to a friend's party.

"We were standing in the kitchen and he pulled me into the closet and tried to start kissing me and putting his hands all over me and I didn't want anybody to see that, it was embarrassing to me," Giamportone said.

She claims, during her stay at Simply Hope, Harris repeatedly kissed and touched her.

"He would hold on to me, put his hands down my back, towards, my, what's the word, my butt," she said.

She also claims that Harris repeatedly made late night visits to the Simply Hope house in which she was staying.

"He did come in my room often, at a point where it did make me uncomfortable," she said.

While she was staying at Simply Hope, Giamportone said Harris began threatening her when he learned she was seeing another man.

"He would tell me if you don't stay away from men then I will recommend to the judge that you go back to prison for 7 years," she said.

Giamportone admits she used drugs while she was in the Simply Hope rehab program.

She was sent to a detox center called Turning Point.

Giamportone says it was the telephone conversations with Harris that convinced her to run.

"It was the phone calls, where I had to check in with him and he would say, 'Is today the day we're going to have sex?' I knew it wouldn't stop," she said.

In early 2008, she ran from Harris, Florida and hasn't been back since.

Giamportone regrets not speaking up in 2008, but claims she was afraid she would be sent back to jail.

"It's my word against his, I'm the addict in the facility and he's the director, so I didn't know what they were going to believe or anybody would believe at that time," she said.

Andrea Giamportone is not the first woman to run from the Simply Hope drug rehab program.

29-year-old Korrine Burdick fled from Simply Hope in 2009. Records show she told her probation officer that Harris propositioned her.

"He's well, I know I'm in control here and basically, what I say goes and you can either give me what I want or you can go to prison," Burdick said.

Probation records raise a question about whether Burdick ever recanted her story. She states she never did.

In August, another Simply Hope client, 27-year-old Jetta Deitchman, informed her probation officer of an incident that occurred in March involving Harris.  Deitchman ran from the program shortly afterward.  Her attorney, Roger Futerman, says she is a victim of sexual abuse and is cooperating with law enforcement in an ongoing criminal investigation involving Harris.

All of these women were sent to Simply Hope by Pinellas judges in an effort to get them off drugs and avoid prison time.  Running from the program meant they violated their probation and could face probable prison time.

Giamportone fled Florida and is still on the run.

"It's horrible, you're constantly looking over your shoulder," she said.

Former Simply Hope administrator Teresa Croyle was also Harris' former fiancee. Croyle claims that in January she discovered on Harris' cell phone inappropriate texts between Harris and several former and current female clients.

"I called the drug court manager and I spoke my beans about everything.  I told him about what I found in Ray's phone in January," Croyle said. "As far as I know there was no investigation done."

The sheriff's office has confirmed a criminal investigation involving Ray Harris is ongoing.

Harris has refused comment.

Harris' attorney Denis DeVlaming says his client did have a meeting last week with two Pinellas County detectives. The meeting lasted about an hour.

DeVlaming says the detectives went over some documentation to establish Mr. Harris' position, and both he and Harris offered their continued cooperation with law enforcement.

The Pinellas drug court has suspended sending female clients to Simply Hope at least until the investigation is finished.

Public Defender Bob Dillinger confirmed his office removed any female clients it was paying to house at Simply Hope.

Andrea Giamportone is watching from a distance, wishing for many reasons she had stepped forward five years ago.

"I do apologize to all the other women who had to go through this and maybe if I had come forward sooner, it wouldn't have happened to them," Giamportone said.

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

Community reaches out to Spring Hill family after theft of lawn equipment

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:45 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:45:21 GMT
    Michael Depace wants to say "thank you" and give a huge hug to everyone that reached out after a thief stole $3,500 worth of lawn equipment from him.

FL vehicle registration renewal fees drop

Monday, September 1 2014 11:48 AM EDT2014-09-01 15:48:49 GMT
    That little gift you get from the state on your birthday every year, to renew your car tag, is going to be cheaper starting Monday.  The cut will save drivers about $13 to $25 depending on the size of their vehicle.

Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.
  • NewsMore>>

Explosion at beverage packaging facility in Lakeland

Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:51 AM EDT2014-09-02 13:51:15 GMT
    An explosion at a Lakeland beverage packaging facility sent a 60,000-pound boiler onto a CSX railroad track Tuesday morning.

Pasco County couple survive a week adrift at sea

Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:16 AM EDT2014-09-02 13:16:33 GMT
    A Pasco county couple is recovering after spending a week adrift in the Gulf of Mexico. They were trapped 80 miles off shore without any food and very little water for seven days.

Tampa daycare set to reopen after crash

Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:48 AM EDT2014-09-02 12:48:16 GMT
    A Tampa kindergarten and daycare center is set to reopen four days after a suspected drunk driver crashed through the wall into a classroom.
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

Teen accused of killing, dismembering mother's body

Monday, September 1 2014 6:48 PM EDT2014-09-01 22:48:37 GMT
    Tyrese LandrumTyrese Landrum
    A Lee County teenager is behind bars, accused of killing his own mother and hiding her body parts around the home.

Clueless swimmers have near-miss with shark off Florida beach

Monday, September 1 2014 12:45 PM EDT2014-09-01 16:45:15 GMT
    YouTube/User Scott McCainYouTube/User Scott McCain
    Beach-goers in Destin, Florida had a near-miss with a hungry hammerhead shark.
    Beach-goers in Destin, Florida had a near-miss with a hungry hammerhead shark.

Teens hurt after falling from carnival ride

Monday, September 1 2014 6:46 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:46:21 GMT
    Teens hurt after falling from carnival ride in Texas.Teens hurt after falling from carnival ride in Texas.
    Two teenagers were rushed to University Medical Center in serious condition, that according to emergency dispatchers, who said they fell more than 12 feet from a ride at Saint Anthony's Bazaar on Sunday night.It happened shortly past 10 p.m.Dispatchers said firefighters also requested a ladder to rescue somebody stranded on the ride. The Crimes Against Children unit is investigating. There was no immediate indication from police of why that unit is involved.
Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.