WJTV News Channel 12 - 3-year-old burned by "components used in methamphetamine product

3-year-old burned by "components used in methamphetamine production"

Posted: Updated:

A three-year-old Carter County boy is recovering tonight after suffering second degree burns from what police identified as sulphuric acid.

Investigators were called to an apartment on Bluefield Avenue in Elizabethton just after noon Wednesday. They said they found a broken drink bottle containing the acid at the front of the home.

Thursday Logan Thornburg, 3, and his family are all giggles and smiles, but Wednesday Logan was rushed to the hospital after receiving second degree burns.

"I had my back turned to the front door and I heard him screaming and came back running into the house," said Julie Hamaker, Logan's step-mother.

Logan had been cut by a shattered glass bottle of Dr. Enuf in front of the apartment, but that wasn't it.

"Put him in the bathtub real quick to figure out where the blood was coming from and I started noticing the blisters so I pulled him back out," said Hamaker.

He received burns on his feet, legs, hands, arms and stomach and was rushed to a local hospital.

"It's terrifying it's definitely reach down and pull you by the heart strings," said Logan's father, Travis Hill.

Police said inside that bottle was sulfuric acid, commonly used with making meth.

"There was acid in the bottle and then there was something meth related in the bottle, so by the time I got to the medical center I was completely scared to death," said Hill.

What's unclear is how the three-year-old received the injuries.

Logan told his father, "other than that the only people he seen was the weed eater people and somebody had threw the bottle at him and busted it near his feet."

Police are still unsure where the bottle and acid came from.

"It really upsets me to know that crap is around my kids," said Hamaker.

Hill said, "this is beyond that and now they've hurt my child."

For Logan, his brothers and sisters they will have to find a new place to play.

"I'm going to start taking them to the park behind my apartment. They are no longer allowed to play in front of my building," said Hamaker. "It's not safe."

Officers conducted searches in two apartments, including the one where the Logan lives and the apartment near where the acid was found . Police said they found no methamphetamine or items used to make the drug.

Though investigators have identified the liquid has sulfuric acid, they've sent it off for confirmation.

Elizabethton Police Chief Greg Workman said the investigation is ongoing and at this time charges have not been filed.

Copyright 2013 WJHL. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.