WJTV News Channel 12 - School Officials: Students passed out during blood donation pres

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

School Officials: Students passed out during blood donation presentation

Posted: Updated:
GREENVILLE, N.C. -

Officials at the Oakwood School in Greenville say three students who passed out and four others that experienced dizziness this morning were watching a Red Cross presentation on blood donation and collection.

The school is located on MacGregor Downs Road in Greenville.

Around 8:35 a.m. Greenville Police responded to the school along with Greenville Fire Rescue and Greenville Utilities for a reported gas leak in the upper school building. A sweep of the building by Greenville Utilities revealed no gas leak.

The seven 8th-12th graders were taken to Vidant Medical Center as a precautionary measure. The remaining students in the Upper School building were evacuated and moved to the Main Campus building as a precaution.

The students who became ill were treated and released from Vidant Medical Center. There were no anthropogenic causes to support what happened to them. Furthermore, no test results support environmental causes for the incident.
 
The Upper School building has since been reopened. Classes will resume at their regular times on Friday.

 


 

Oakwood Letter

Dear Oakwood Parents and Friends,
 
Earlier today, the Upper School was evacuated after 3 students became ill while attending a morning meeting. The children were immediately transported to the Vidant Medical Center, along with 4 other students who experienced dizziness, to receive care for their symptoms. The staff and faculty immediately moved all students to the elementary campus. The school received immediate assistance from the Greenville Fire and Rescue, Greenville Police Department and Greenville Utilities Company to identify any potential concerns related to the building and mechanical systems.
 
There was no gas leak as earlier reported in the media. There are no gas connections to the school or the science lab in the Upper School and Greenville Utilities Company confirmed this while checking for additional issues that could have caused the incident. All precautions have been taken to ensure the safety of our facilities, including having all air and heating systems checked by our HVAC contractor, to test for Freon leaks and air quality related to the systems, and no problems were found. The school also worked with CA Lewis to complete further testing to confirm the safety of the Upper School facilities.
 
While attending the morning meeting, the 8th-12th grade classes were hearing a Red Cross presentation detailing the steps of blood donation and blood collection. The students who became ill received care at Vidant and have since been released. They were thoroughly checked for any anthropogenic causes that could have been related to the episode. So far there has been no test results that provide information related to environmental causes that might have precipitated the incident.
 
After extensive examination of the property by the staff, police, fire and rescue, and system contractors the Upper School building has been reopened and classes will resume at regular time tomorrow. Our focus is on the safety of our students and we have taken all the necessary steps needed to confirm that the building is safe for student occupancy.
 
Rob Peterson
 
Head of School

 

  • Most Recent SlideshowsMore>>

  • Cleanup follows heavy storms in Phoenix area

    Cleanup follows heavy storms in Phoenix area

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 8:03 PM EDT2014-08-21 00:03:38 GMT
    Workers at a farm saw hundreds of cactuses sweep away in a flood. Drivers on Arizona's main north-south freeway watched in shock as muddy waters submerged the road. Rescuers across the state rushed to save...
    Residents began cleaning up Wednesday from devastating flooding that slammed Arizona a day earlier, trapping people in vehicles and homes and destroying up to $2 million worth of inventory at a cactus nursery north of...
  • Son of Beaufort Co. woman found dead in fire charged with murder

    Son of Beaufort Co. woman found dead in fire charged with murder

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 5:11 PM EDT2014-08-20 21:11:41 GMT
    The Beaufort County Sheriff's Department has arrested a man suspected of killing his mother.
    The Beaufort County Sheriff's Department has arrested a man suspected of killing his mother.
  • 36 dead, 7 missing in Hiroshima landslide

    36 dead, 7 missing in Hiroshima landslide

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 9:57 AM EDT2014-08-20 13:57:04 GMT
    Rain-sodden slopes collapsed in torrents of mud, rock and debris early Wednesday in the outskirts of Hiroshima, killing at least 10 people and leaving 22 missing, the government said.
    Rain-sodden slopes collapsed in torrents of mud, rock and debris Wednesday on the outskirts of Hiroshima city, killing at least 36 people and leaving seven missing, Japanese police said.
Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.