UPDATE - 11/15/14, 2:34pm: Officials say that the cause of the fire at the Salvation Army building located on Presto Lane was due to some type of electrical malfunction.
Firefighters are still battling a blaze at the Salvation Army facility on Presto Lane in Jackson, as of 8:06 Friday (January 3, 2014) morning. According to Jackson Fire Department, Chief Arson Investigator, Greg Travis the fire started around six o'clock. He believes it is just the thrift store that is on fire. According to Captain Ken Chapman of the Salvation Army, the fire appears to have completely destroyed that building and everything in it. We are told that nobody was injured. Chapman is worried about the people who count on the thrift store for their employment. He says that other branches of the Salvation Army will pitch in. The Salvation Army does so much to help others in time of disaster, and Chapman believes that the community will help out however it can. Chapman an estimates the damages at about $1.5 million. This is still a very dangerous situation for firefighters. They are working hard to get that scene under control. Most of the scene is secure, but the fire is still burning in the walls.
The intense heat blew out the windows, flames shot through the roof, and smoke can be seen for miles around. At least 12 fire units have been dispatched.WJTV will continue to stay on the scene, throughout the morning, to bring you any new details as they become available.
Malary Pullen reports that she received a warning from fire officials not to breathe in the smoke due to health hazards from burning lead paint.