WJTV News Channel 12 - RALEIGH: 49,000 NC Medicaid cards mailed to wrong addresses

49,000 NC Medicaid cards mailed to wrong addresses

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

State health officials said Friday that they had inadvertently disclosed the personal information of tens of thousands of children receiving Medicaid coverage, but were tight-lipped about precisely what caused the massive privacy breach.
    
The N.C. Department of Health and Human Services issued a written release saying that new Medicaid cards for nearly 49,000 children were mailed on Dec. 30 to the wrong people. The information on the cards includes the children's names, Medicaid identification numbers, dates of birth and the names of their primary care doctors - personal medical data that is supposed to be tightly protected under federal law.
    
"The department has begun a careful review of this incident to determine how it occurred and to ensure personal information is protected," said Sandra Terrell, the state's acting Medicaid director. "DHHS knows exactly which Medicaid cards were sent to which addresses, and is rapidly working to issue correct Medicaid cards."
    
Agency spokesman Ricky Diaz said state officials were first informed of the problem on Thursday by county officials. The release publicly disclosing the breach was emailed Friday at 5:20 p.m., which Diaz insisted was "as quickly as possible."
    
New federal Medicaid eligibility rules starting Jan. 1 allowed the agency to shift medical coverage for more than 70,000 children of low-income families from the state-run NC Health Choice to Medicaid.
    
Diaz said the agency is investigating how the cards were addressed to the wrong people. He said the mistake did not involve either NCTracks or NC FAST, a pair of new problem-plagued computer systems that handle Medicaid enrollments and payments.
    
Diaz refused to provide details about what the agency's internal investigation had determined so far about the source of the error, responding to questions by repeating the same prepared talking points.
    
"We are investigating the matter thoroughly," Diaz said when pressed for details. "The review is not complete."
    
Diaz also said he could provide no information about when that review might be complete or when the results would be made public.
    
Diaz said children who were supposed to receive Medicaid cards but didn't can still use their old NC Health Choice cards in the meantime. Those who were mistakenly sent the cards will be receiving instructions about what to do with them, he said.
    
Diaz said the affected Medicaid accounts will be monitored for potential fraud.

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
  • High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

    High school senior kicked out of prom for wearing pants

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 12:27 PM EDT2014-04-22 16:27:58 GMT
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since. "In a way it's kind of
    According to a senior at Cherryville High School, a pair of her red skinny jeans got her kicked out of her Senior Prom and has started a bit of a controversy at the school since.
Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.