JACKSON, MS -
A house on Perkins Street in Jackson sustained extensive damage tonight after it caught fire.The family was fortunately able to escape without any injuries.
Chief Greg Travis with the Jackson Fire Department told News Channel 12 it appears the fire started in the chimney.Chief Travis is assisting the family in reaching the Red Cross this evening to see if they could help provide them a place to stay.
A witness on scene told us there was no water in the fire hydrant firefighters were attempting to use to put out the fire. We reached out to fire officials for comment, but they would not confirm or deny the allegation.They say the investigation is ongoing.