WJTV News Channel 12 - Report: Marines' Deaths Caused by Training Misstep

Report: Marines' Deaths Caused by Training Misstep

Posted: Updated:
An explosion that killed seven Camp Lejeune Marines during a nighttime training exercise was the result of human error and insufficient training, according to the results of a military investigation.

Lt. Adam Flores, a spokesman for the Lejeune-based 2nd Marine Division, said Wednesday that the investigation found the deadly March 18 explosion was triggered when a Marine dropped a second round into an already loaded mortar tube during a live-fire exercise. Two officers and a noncommissioned officer were relieved of command following the explosion at Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada.

Those killed ranged in age from 19 to 26. Seven additional Marines and a Navy sailor were also wounded in the blast.

The investigation determined that the 60 mm mortar functioned properly and that the weapon system is safe when used as designed by properly trained Marines. Marine officials said last year that the explosion was the result of "human error," but did not provide details of what caused the blast.

Flores said Wednesday that the Marines were firing the 60 mm mortar in "manual mode," meaning someone had to pull a trigger to set off the round. The weapon can also be set up in a fixed position and fired by simply dropping a round down the tube.

"There was a round that was already in and they had begun to feed the second round in before the first mortar (round) had been fired," Flores said.

The investigation's findings were first reported Tuesday by The Marine Corps Times, which obtained a copy of the 19-page report and hundreds of pages of supporting documents through a Freedom of Information Act request.

The Marine investigation concluded that four factors contributed to the tragedy: inadequate training and preparation for the complexity of the exercise; improper mortar gunnery commands and firing procedures; a "perceived sense of urgency and resultant haste" during the exercise; and a systemic lack of supervision.
  • U.S. & World NewsMore>>

  • Los Angeles jury convicts man of 3 serial murders

    Los Angeles jury convicts man of 3 serial murders

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:52 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:52:44 GMT
    A Los Angeles jury has convicted a career criminal in the serial killings of three women in the 1980s.
    A man who authorities believe strangled dozens of women as he moved from place to place around the country was convicted Tuesday of three 1980s murders in Los Angeles.
  • 10 Things to Know for Wednesday

    10 Things to Know for Wednesday

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 9:11 PM EDT2014-09-03 01:11:48 GMT
    By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
    By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Wednesday:
  • Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Video purports to show beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 8:42 PM EDT2014-09-03 00:42:32 GMT
    The World Food Program says it provided food to a record 4.1 million people inside Syria last month.
    Islamic State extremists released a video Tuesday purportedly showing the beheading of a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and warning President Barack Obama that as long as U.S. airstrikes against the militant...
Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.