WJTV News Channel 12 - Number of domestic violence murders declines in NC

Number of domestic violence murders declines in NC

Posted: Updated:

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina's attorney general says the number of domestic violence murders in the state dropped by 14 in 2013, to 108.

Attorney General Roy Cooper says Guilford County reported 11 domestic violence murders last year, the highest in the state, followed by Mecklenburg County with nine. Wake and Buncombe counties each reported eight domestic violence murders, while Durham County reported six and Harnett County had five.

Sixty-two victims were female and 46 were male. The murders committed by 88 men and 27 women.

Cooper says in a news release that five of the victims had taken out protective orders, and three of those were current when the victims were murdered. One offender was reported to be on pretrial release for a domestic violence crime when the victim was killed.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Mugshots

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Sharks in the sound: researchers study aims to ease fears

    Sharks in the sound: researchers study aims to ease fears

    Monday, July 21 2014 6:06 PM EDT2014-07-21 22:06:04 GMT
    Millions of people enjoy North Carolina waters every year. But few of those people stop to think what they may be swimming in.
    Millions of people enjoy North Carolina waters every year. But few of those people stop to think what they may be swimming in.
  • Things You Only Hear in the South

    Things You Only Hear in the South

    Friday, June 20 2014 8:10 PM EDT2014-06-21 00:10:48 GMT
    Here are a mess of words and phrases that make the South unique and awesome.
    Here are a mess of words and phrases that make the South unique and awesome.
  • Audit: Ex-Tarboro manager siphoned off town funds

    Audit: Ex-Tarboro manager siphoned off town funds

    A state audit has determined that the former manager in Tarboro siphoned off more than $450,000 in taxpayer funds to provide himself with unapproved benefits and to buy personal items unrelated to his job.
    A state audit has determined that the former manager in Tarboro siphoned off more than $450,000 in taxpayer funds to provide himself with unapproved benefits and to buy personal items unrelated to his job.
Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.