WJTV News Channel 12 - 3 firefighters hurt as brush fire near Florence engulfs home

3 firefighters hurt as brush fire near Florence engulfs home

Posted: Updated:
Photo by Matt Petrillo/WBTW Photo by Matt Petrillo/WBTW
FLORENCE, S.C. -

Three firefighters were injured while crews battled a 12-acre blaze that destroyed a house near Florence on Wednesday afternoon.

A nearby resident who officials say started the fire has also been charged in the incident.

One firefighter, a Windy Hill fireman, is currently at Augusta Burn Center for injuries he suffered in the large brush fire.  That fireman, Jacob "Jake" DeLung of Windy Hill Fire, suffered facial and neck burns, third to second degree burns, when he was in the house that burned and the floor collapsed, officials said. According to the Windy Hill Fire Rescue Facebook page doctors are cleaning his burns Thursday morning and he may require some skin grafts in several places.

DeLung, who is the son of Windy Hill Fire Chief John Delung, yelled for help and other firefighters were able to rescue him. He was taken to McLeod Hospital first and then airlifted.

Not long after DeLung was hurt, West Florence Fire Department's Anthony Fox had the home's front porch collapse under him. Fox injured his ankle.

A Florence City fireman, Ed Richardson, fell on Fox and was hurt, too.

The fire began in Florence County around 3 pm between Quinby and Florence in an triangular area bounded by TV Road, East McIver Road and East Ashby Road, officials say.

Mingo Robinson, of the 200 block of East Ashby Road, has been charged in connection with the fire, officials said. The SC Forestry agents filed charges of failure to notify forestry of a fire and not stopping it before it spread to other properties against Robinson.

If found guilty, Robinson faces $700 in fines.

By 5 pm, officials said that the fire was 80 percent contained.

The brush fire engulfed one structure already and was moving through trees and headed northeast, officials say.

A family of five lived in the mobile home that burned and they made it out safe but say they weren't able to take anything with them.

The family, which lived there for more than a decade, say they don't know if they have home owner's insurance.

The fire didn't start in the home. Fire crews say a preliminary investigation shows the fire started from a debris pile and it spread all the way to the house, though officials don't know how many acres just yet.

Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.