WJTV News Channel 12 - RALEIGH: Students rally after rap concert canceled at NC State

Students rally after rap concert canceled at NC State

Posted: Updated:
More than $60,000 was paid to have the rap-trio Migos and Pusha-T perform. More than $60,000 was paid to have the rap-trio Migos and Pusha-T perform.
RALEIGH, N.C. -

A canceled concert is causing controversy on the campus of N.C. State University.

A concert that was part of the University's Pan Afrikan Week was canceled after school leaders discovered one of the headliners was involved in a out of state shooting. Students voiced their concerns at a rally that afternoon.

Planning for the concert had been going on for months. More than $60,000 was paid to have the rap-trio Migos and Pusha-T perform.

Some students feel the decision to cancel the concert was racially motivated.

"It's beyond frustrating," said Second Vice Chair of the Black Student Board, Amira Alexander. "It's kind of like Pan-Afrikan week is a 44th annual event. We do this every year as a celebration of the African-American culture and it's like you are purposely destroying that culture by saying we're yanking this event out. Where in the history of N.C. State organization events has it been abruptly canceled without considering other people two days before the event. It makes no sense."

School leaders chose to pull the plug on the concert on Wednesday after they found out that one of the members of the rap group, Migos, was involved in a shootout in Florida last week.

School leaders said they were committed to the event.

And it's about safety, not race, that lead to the concerts cancellation. They say they empathize with the students and understand why they are upset.

Officials with N.C. State released this statement to WNCN regarding the concert.

“University leadership met with students and staff Thursday to discuss concerns about the Pan Afrikan concert. Those discussions led to a proposal from the university to continue with the concert featuring Pusha T and supporting acts with added security. After further discussions with the students and staff, it was determined that logistically it was not feasible to move forward with the concert. As a result, university officials expressed a desire to work with the students to explore an alternative event in the near future. In addition, university leadership has expressed a commitment to have ongoing dialogue with concerned students regarding issues that have been raised as a result of the concert cancellation.

“We listened to student event planners, understood their concerns and conveyed our primary goal of ensuring campus safety, ” said Mike Giancola, Associate Vice Provost of Student Leadership & Engagement. “We also expressed the university’s commitment to engage in an ongoing dialogue about any issues of concern, and look forward to those discussions.”

Copyright WNCN 2014.  All rights reserved.

Shumuriel Ratliff

Shumuriel, a North Carolina native, is thrilled to be back in the Tar Heel state as a general assignment reporter for WNCN.
More>>

Powered by WorldNow

1820 TV Road
Jackson, MS 39204

Telephone: 601.372.6311
Fax: 804.819.5569
Email: wjtvnews@wjtv.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.