More Than $14M Approved for Mississippi Disaster Survivors
By Donesha Aldridge, Web Content Manager/Producer - bio | email
JACKSON, Miss. - More than $14.3 million has been approved for disaster survivors in 12 Mississippi counties, according to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency.
The assistance went to residents and households that were affected by severe storms, tornadoes, and floods from April 28 through May 3, 2014.
Here's a breakdown of how the funds were distributed provided by MEMA:
• Nearly $9.7 million in low-interest disaster loans has been approved by SBA for 143 homeowners, renters and businesses.
• Nearly $4.7million in FEMA Individual Assistance grants has been approved to help Mississippi disaster survivors recover, including:
• More than $3.5 million approved for housing grants, including short-term rental assistance and home repair costs.
• More than $1.1 million approved to help cover other essential disaster-related needs such as medical and dental expenses and household possessions. Included is approval of assistance with funeral expenses for nine disaster-related deaths. Other funeral expense requests are pending.
• More than 4,900 people have contacted FEMA for help or information regarding disaster assistance.
• In addition to FEMA grants for individuals and families, other forms of disaster assistance are provided by the U.S. Small Business Administration and other partner agencies such as the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army. FEMA refers some survivors to those agencies.
• All businesses that contact FEMA also are referred to the SBA.
• Others may be interested in other programs such as disaster unemployment assistance and disaster legal services.
• 2,568 home inspections completed.
• More than 4,500 visits to disaster recovery centers by people affected by the disaster.
• FEMA Disaster Survivor Assistance crews have visited 10,454 dwellings and assisted 7,143 survivors.
The last day for anyone who wants to apply for assistance from FEMA and submit an SBA disaster loan application is June 30, 2014.