JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The Jackson Public School District held a news conference on Thursday, July 16, 2020, at the Central Office Administrative Complex to discuss the district’s reopening plan for the 2020-21 school year.
Taking into consideration the feedback of constituents gathered through surveys and panel discussions, features of the JPS plan include enhanced safety measures and procedures, such as:
- Frequent technology use, whether on-site learning or virtual, enabling the District to pivot quickly to an online-only scenario should the need arise.
- Temperature checks before boarding buses or entering school buildings.
- Maintaining the CDC’s recommended physical distance even in hallways, restrooms, cafeterias, and other common areas.
- Providing meals for in classrooms for some traditional (on-site) learners, and a modified grab and go option will be provided for virtual learners.
- Social distancing and mandatory face coverings with provisions made for supplying washable masks to students.
- Increased handwashing and hand sanitation breaks will occur throughout the school day.
JPS families will have two learning options to choose from depending on the student’s grade level. Each option must be maintained throughout a grading period.
Learning Options & Schedules
Elementary (Grades Pre-K–5)
- Classroom instruction will take place Monday–Friday, 7:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
- Elementary Schools will use the Traditional/On-Site and Virtual learning models for providing quality instruction in all core academic courses
Middle School (Grades 6–8)
- Classroom instruction will take place Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–2:30 p.m.
- Middle Schools will use the Traditional/On-Site and Virtual learning models for providing quality instruction in all core academic courses
High School (Grades 9–12)
- Classroom instruction will take place Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- High Schools will use the Hybrid and Virtual learning models for providing quality instruction in all core academic courses
Additional information can be found on the JPS website, including the following:
· District to Hold School Reopening Feedback Panels with Parents, Teachers, and Scholars: https://bit.ly/2CrYeV8
· School Reopening Parent Panel: https://youtu.be/lA1GKlF-3Dk
· School Reopening Student Panel: https://youtu.be/T2F5ilv4qO8
· School Reopening Teacher Panel: https://youtu.be/vEGOFyy1GCI
- Report: Post Office warns 46 states about mail voting delays
- JPS makes final push for students to register for new school year
- Protest outside Pine Prairie ICE facility halted after several people pepper-sprayed by law enforcement
- Mother of special needs child recreates special ed classroom at home
- Jackson Public School District cancels fall competitions