Accused NY terrorism suspect arrested in 2011 for assaulting daughter


LACKAWANNA, N.Y. (WIVB) — Terrorism investigations in Lackawanna have brought to the surface the criminal history of one accused ISIL associated terrorist.

The man facing federal charges now for allegedly associating with and attempting to aid ISIS has a criminal record with the Lackawanna Police Department. On Wednesday, documents detailed a violent encounter between Arafat Nagi and his daughter which forced police to respond and arrest him in 2013.

But officers also arrested the accused terrorist sympathizer two years earlier according to documents obtained Thursday, which revealed another incident between Arafat Nagi and members of his family.

In June of 2011, police in Lackawanna rushed to a grocery store where a young woman suffered an attack from an older assailant. Police eventually learned from the woman that her father attacked her just outside the store. Through their investigation, police learned on June 24, 2011, Nagi’s daughter visited the supermarket to buy groceries, and upon leaving the store, Nagi attacked her from behind, punching her in the back of the head.

A police report says the woman struggled to flee her father’s grasp, explaining Nagi grabbed her by the legs and continued to strike her while she attempted to climb into her aunt’s vehicle. The young woman told police Nagi threatened to kill her.

Through the course of their investigation, the young woman’s mother showed police text messages from Nagi, threatening to break his daughter’s legs and continue harassing her.

After the alleged assault, police pursued Nagi but didn’t locate him for six days, finally arresting him on July 30, 2011. Nagi then faced two misdemeanor charges of third degree menacing and third degree assault with intent to cause physical injury. He also faced charges of harassment.

Nagi faced similar charges two years later when he threatened to behead his daughter while brandishing a large knife. Lackawanna Police Officers arrested Nagi then, too, charging him with criminal possession of a weapon and menacing.

Although Nagi settled to plead guilty to lesser charges in the 2013 case, it couldn’t be determined the results of the 2011 case, as courts said they didn’t have record of the incident.

Nagi now faces far more serious federal charges following a lengthy FBI investigation into a series of trips he took to Turkey and the Middle East allegedly in support of the terrorist organization, ISIL.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories