JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The American Red Cross of Mississippi is working with local officials in several counties to assess the needs of communities as flooding impacts several parts of the state.
The following shelter is open for flood victims:
- Jackson Police Training Center: 3000 St. Charles Street, Jackson, MS 39209
Anyone evacuating to a Red Cross shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family:
- Prescriptions and emergency medications
- Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
- Identification to show residence is in affected area and important personal documents
- Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
- Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
- Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
- Chargers for any electronic devices you bring with you
- Books, games and other ways to entertain your family and yourself
- Food, crate, and other supplies to care for your pet
Volunteers are needed to help support relief operations. We need help maintaining and setting up sheltering facilities, registering shelter residents, maintaining client information, serving meals, and general housekeeping.
With more severe weather forecasted through the week, the Red Cross is encouraging the people of Mississippi to prepare. Stay informed: The Red Cross has several smartphone apps available that will alert you to National Weather Service warnings for severe weather and flash flooding and provide you with preparedness and safety information. These free apps are available at redcross.org/apps.