JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Congressman Michael Guest (R-Miss.) announced the 2021 Congressional Art Competition is underway. He said the competition is a way to recognize and encourage the artistic talent in Mississippi’s Third Congressional District.
High School students from Guest’s district can submit a piece of artwork, which will be judged by a panel selected by the congressman. The winner will have their artwork displayed in the U.S. Capitol until the 2022 winner is selected.
Students may call 769-241-6120 for submission details. The deadline for submission is at 12:00 p.m. on April 23, 2021.
Artwork entered in the contest may be up to 26 inches by 26 inches, may be up to 4 inches in depth, and not weigh more than 15 pounds. Acceptable forms include:
- Paintings – including oil, acrylics, and watercolor
- Drawings – including pastels, colored pencil, pencil, charcoal, ink, and markers (It is recommended that charcoal and pastel drawings be fixed.)
- Collages – must be two dimensional
- Prints – including lithographs, silkscreen, and block prints
- Mixed Media – use of more than two mediums such as pencil, ink, watercolor, etc.
- Computer-generated art
The rules, checklist, and release form for the competition can be found by clicking here.