RIDGELAND, Miss. (WJTV) – The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has added five more hand sanitizers to its list of products that have been found to contain a substance that can be potentially fatal when absorbed through the skin or ingested.
In a statement, the FDA issued a warning to consumers and health care providers about a “sharp” increase in hand sanitizer found to contain methanol contamination in products containing ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol.
On July 2, the FDA identified the following hand sanitizer products containing methanol:
- Grupo Insoma’s Hand Sanitizer Gel Unscented, 70% alcohol)
- Transliquid Technologies’ Mystic Shield Protection Hand Sanitizer
- Soluciones Cosmeticas’ Bersih Hand Sanitizer Gel Fragrance Free and Antiseptic Alcohol 70% Topical Solution Hand Sanitizer
- Tropicosmeticos’ Britz Hand Sanitizer Ethyl Alcohol 70%
The FDA has listed the following nine products manufactured by Esk Biochem:
- All-Clean Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-002-01)
- Esk Biochem Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-007-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-008-04)
- Lavar 70 Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-006-01)
- The Good Gel Antibacterial Gel Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-010-10)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-005-03)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 75% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-009-01)
- CleanCare NoGerm Advanced Hand Sanitizer 80% Alcohol (NDC: 74589-003-01)
- Saniderm Advanced Hand Sanitizer (NDC: 74589-001-01)
- The FDA says it tested samples of Lavar Gel and CleanCare No Germ. Lavar Gel was found to contain 81% (v/v) methanol and no ethyl alcohol, and CleanCare No Germ contained 28% (v/v) methanol.
Those who have been exposed to hand sanitizer containing methanol should call 911 and seek immediate care.
12 News talked to Dr. Timothy Quinn of Quinn Healthcare in Ridgeland about the dangers of these hand sanitizers.
- One last ride, family tows loved one’s casket to gravesite by his favorite tractor
- Three officers charged with second-degree murder
- Cinemark Pearl and XD Reopens
- Police: Homicide of 3-year-old disguised as hot car death
- UPDATE: Overwhelming response to boy’s search for a family, ‘I hope one of y’all pick me’