JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Neighbors in Clarke, Grenada, Jasper, Lawrence, Panola and Walthall countie, who were unable to work because of the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding, may apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA).
People who live or work in one of the affected counties and could not work because of major destruction caused by the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding that occurred April 12, 2020 are entitled to apply and may be eligible to receive DUA.
Self-employed individuals, who were living or working in the affected areas at the time of the major disaster, and those who are unemployed as a result of the major disaster, may be eligible for DUA. In addition, those who were unable to reach their jobs, because the disaster prevented their travel, or who were scheduled to begin employment, but the disaster prevented them from doing so, may apply.
Others eligible to apply for DUA are individuals who: (1) became the major support for a household because of the disaster-related death of the head of the household; (2) cannot work because of an injury caused as a direct result of the disaster; (3) could not work or lost work as a result of physical damage or destruction of a business, and; (4) are unable to work because of the physical inaccessibility of the place of employment due to its closure by the federal government.
Individuals in Clarke, Grenada, Jasper, Lawrence, Panola and Walthall Counties in Mississippi can apply online 24 hours a day at www.mdes.ms.gov or by calling toll-free, 1-877-633-7275 from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday.
The deadline to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance is June 10, 2020.Mississippi Department of Employment Security
The six Disaster Assistance Center locations are:
- Clarke County – Clarke County EMA at 642 South Archusa Ave. Quitman, MS 39355
- Grenada County – Lewis Johnson Senior Citizen Complex at 299 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. Grenada, MS 38901
- Jasper County – Jasper EOC at 37 D West 8th Ave. Bay Springs, MS 39422
- Lawrence County – Lawrence EOC at 703 E. Broad St. Monticello, MS 39654
- Panola County – Panola County Extension Building at 394 Hwy 51 S. Batesville, MS 38606
- Walthall County – Walthall County EOC at 908 Armory Rd. Tylertown, MS 39667
The Disaster Assistance Centers are open Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Saturday, 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. The centers are closed on Sundays.