DESOTO COUNTY, Miss. (WJTV) – State Auditor Shad White announced on Friday that Herb Brewer, former police chief of the Town of Walls, has pleaded guilty to embezzlement.
Special Agents from the Auditor’s office arrested Brewer in February 2020 after he was indicted. According to investigators, Brewer sold two city-owned vehicles to members of his own family and kept the proceeds from the sales. The Auditor’s office has already recovered the entire amount of the demand issued to Brewer.
“As long as I hold this position, the Auditor’s office will continue to hold officials accountable when they use their offices to benefit themselves or their family,” said White. “This sort of illegal self-dealing will not be tolerated.”
Judge Wilson sentenced Brewer to time already served in prison in addition to two years of probation. The judge also issued a $500 fine. The guilty verdict will also prevent Brewer from being employed by a government office in Mississippi again.
Suspected fraud can be reported to the Auditor’s office online any time by visiting here.
- No fans from abroad for postponed Tokyo Olympics, report says
- WATCH: Bear roams Los Angeles neighborhood
- Black market for marijuana still thriving even as more states legalize it for medicinal, recreational use
- Bowl bought for $35 at yard sale turns out to be artifact worth up to $500K
- Rockets hit Iraq airbase hosting US troops