JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The attorney for the parents of Frances Fortner are seeking to subpoena Jackson Mayor Chokwe A. Lumumba, according to the Clarion Ledger.
The attorney for the Fortners filed the latest request on July 31, 2020. A judge denied an earlier request in May.
Deputy City Attorney LaShundra Jackson-Winters said the mayor is not a named party in the lawsuit and wasn’t a witness or a party who would have discoverable information.
After the accident, Lumumba took responsibility for the city not taking precautions.
No official trial date has been set for the case.
- Carole Baskin booted from ‘Dancing with the Stars’
- Governor Reeves speaks at White House
- SCOTUS to hear arguments on ACA, where does Mississippi stand in the fight on healthcare?
- Stimulus check, $600-per-week jobless benefit included in new virus aid proposal
- Bodycam video shows the scene after the Breonna Taylor shooting