JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The attorney for the parents of Frances Fortner are seeking to subpoena Jackson Mayor Chokwe A. Lumumba, according to the Clarion Ledger.
The attorney for the Fortners filed the latest request on July 31, 2020. A judge denied an earlier request in May.
Deputy City Attorney LaShundra Jackson-Winters said the mayor is not a named party in the lawsuit and wasn’t a witness or a party who would have discoverable information.
After the accident, Lumumba took responsibility for the city not taking precautions.
No official trial date has been set for the case.
- Sharkey County town closes vaccine access gap thanks to medical volunteers
- 12 News Investigates: Mobile COVID-19 vaccines for Madison Co. teachers, staff
- JSU Tennis Prepares for SWAC Tournament
- Bill banning transgender athletes’ participation in public school sports headed to Governor’s desk
- FEMA’s funeral program overwhelmed by 1 million calls on first day