Russia: Weeklong halt of airstrikes on Aleppo will be extended

International
Sergei Rudskoi Photo by Ivan Sekretarev, AP Photo_233513

Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian military’s General Staff speaks at a briefing at the Russian Defense Ministry’s headquarters in Moscow, Russia, Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016. Russia’s Defense Ministry said on Tuesday it was keeping humanitarian corridors out of Syria’s Aleppo open following accusations by the U.N. humanitarian chief that warring parties were obstructing […]

BEIRUT (AP) – The Russian military says the weeklong halt of Russian and Syrian air strikes on the besieged city of Aleppo will continue.

Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the military’s General Staff said Tuesday that Russian and Syrian warplanes have stayed 10 kilometers (6 miles) away from Aleppo for a week. He said that “the moratorium on Russian and Syrian air strikes on the city will be extended.”

Russia also declared a three-day break in fighting last week intended to allow the evacuation of both militants and civilians from Aleppo’s rebel-held eastern neighborhoods. The rebels rejected the Russian offer and the planned evacuation of civilians also failed.

While the Syrian army has resumed its offensive, Rudskoi said humanitarian corridors have remained open and breaks in fighting could be negotiated to evacuate civilians.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories