Fireworks blamed for Jackson apartment fires

News

JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Neighbors at the Willow Point apartments said Jackson firefighters were called to put out multiple fires caused by fireworks on July 4th.

Christal Singh, a neighbor at the apartment complex, posted a video on Facebook of a dumpster on fire at the location.

She said when firefighters arrived, they were able to put out the fire, but people were still popping fireworks in front of the crews.

Around 2:00 a.m. Monday, Singh said she smelled smoke and noticed flames coming from the other side of her building. Singh, her husband, two children and pets got out of the apartment.

She said when firefighters came back, they told her fireworks may have been the cause again.

“I’m not against popping fireworks, but if you are going to do it, then do it safely,” she said.

Singh said she plans to move soon, saying this activity just adds to the list of negatives at Willow Point.

12 News reached out to the Jackson Fire Department for more information, and we are waiting to hear back.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.