JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Two Jackson Public School District elementary schools will receive new names. The JPS Board of Trustees unanimously approved renaming Lee and Power Elementary Schools at its regular meeting held Tuesday, December 15.
Lee, formerly named for Confederate General Robert E. Lee, will be renamed for Drs. Aaron and Ollye Shirley. Power will be renamed for Ida B. Wells. Its original namesake was Colonel John Logan Power, who also served in the Confederate Army.
District Administrators introduced resolutions for the renaming of two JPS schools at the first Board meeting in December.
- Illinois family grieving loss attributed to ‘COVID psychosis’
- Mennonite farmers say U.S. won’t let them in from Mexico to buy equipment
- Kansas GOP lawmakers plan to fast-track unemployment bill, after House advances bill
- Teacher had to lock sub out of Florida classroom after he attacked students, police say
- Missouri transfer Aubrey Miller Jr. excited to make Jackson State debut Saturday