JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV)- Judge Tyree Irving has been elected as the new Mississippi Democratic Chair. The Greenwood native is the first Black party chairman since 1998.
Irving won with a 54-21 vote against State Representative Earle Banks in a virtual meeting held by the Democratic executive committee on Saturday, July 25, according to Mississippi Today.
Prior to his appointment, Irving served as a Presiding Judge on the Appeals Court since March 2011.
- Texas woman says she was fired by Whataburger for wearing a Black Lives Matter mask
- Patriots look to rebound as they host 2-0 Raiders
- ‘She is the female Scalia’: Lawmakers react to President Trump picking Amy Coney Barrett to replace RBG
- Her words: Amy Coney Barrett on faith, precedent, abortion
- Tiny airborne particles may pose a big coronavirus problem