JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV)- Judge Tyree Irving has been elected as the new Mississippi Democratic Chair. The Greenwood native is the first Black party chairman since 1998.
Irving won with a 54-21 vote against State Representative Earle Banks in a virtual meeting held by the Democratic executive committee on Saturday, July 25, according to Mississippi Today.
Prior to his appointment, Irving served as a Presiding Judge on the Appeals Court since March 2011.
- American Rescue Plan hits the House floor as lawmakers split along party lines
- Focused on Mississippi: Waverly Mansion
- Hawley, Sanders push plans to rescue $15 minimum wage
- Texas woman who received $9,300 electricity bill files class action lawsuit
- Military veteran uses life experiences to help others