Laurel, Miss. (WHLT) – Laurel Police Department is looking for people to take their civil service exam for the position of entry-level police officer.
“We’re fully staffed at 55 sworn officers and we have I think at least 2 or 3 openings right now. This process takes a little bit of time so we’re doing this to establish an eligibility list that’ll be good until it’s exhausted or for two or three years,” LPD’s Captain Tommy Cox said.
Those interested in applying to the force must have completed the exam within the past 2 years.
Beginning salary is $16.04 per hour/$35,865.44 annually.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- At least 21 years old
- Valid MS driver’s license
- High School diploma or GED
- U.S. Citizen and registered voter in the county where you reside
- Able to pass a background check
- Able to pass Entry-Level Police Officer Civil Service Exam
- Able to attend and successfully complete MS Law Enforcement Officer Training Academy
Officers with previous law enforcement certification are not required to take the test.
You can sign up for the exam at city hall until October 16th at 5 p.m.
The exam will be given October 24th at 9 a.m. at the Laurel Police Training Center located on 930 Hillcrest Drive.