JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – According to the Jackson Public School District, Lee Elementary is closer to receiving a new name. The Lee Elementary School Renaming Committee has narrowed its list of candidates to three finalists:
- Drs. Aaron and Ollye Shirley
- Dr. Jessie Mosley
- Dr. Margaret Walker Alexander
JPS leaders said students will engage in lessons and activities based on information about the three finalists. They will also participate in a school-based election to select one finalist just before the November 3rd general election.
A new namesake for the school will be announced in November. Lee Elementary is currently named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
- MARCH MADNESS: Raymond and Lanier advance to 4A championship
- Jackson native Dante Brown wins SEC 60M championship
- Bodies of father, two sons found in Benton County, investigation ongoing
- Southern Miss to resume In person courses come Fall 2021
- COVID-19 relief package moves to Senate, faces GOP opposition