JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – According to the Jackson Public School District, Lee Elementary is closer to receiving a new name. The Lee Elementary School Renaming Committee has narrowed its list of candidates to three finalists:
- Drs. Aaron and Ollye Shirley
- Dr. Jessie Mosley
- Dr. Margaret Walker Alexander
JPS leaders said students will engage in lessons and activities based on information about the three finalists. They will also participate in a school-based election to select one finalist just before the November 3rd general election.
A new namesake for the school will be announced in November. Lee Elementary is currently named after Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
- ESPN’s College GameDay to broadcast live from Augusta National Golf Club, showcasing fall Masters Tournament
- Madison officer injured after chase leads to crash in Jackson
- UMMC’s 1,000th hospitalized patient with COVID-19 discharged on Monday
- Trick-or-Treat at the Two Mississippi Museums
- Woman accused impersonating prosecutor, attempting to drop her own case