JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Take some time to unwind with friends, family or yourself this weekend. Below you’ll find a list of some fun events going on this weekend (June 2 through 4) around Mississippi.
First Friday on Farish – Jackson – Friday
- This will be an evening of dancing the night away with friends, supporting local entrepreneurs, enjoying tasty food, meeting and mingling with new and old connections, and admiring local artists’ creations.
Food Truck Friday in the Park – Jackson – Friday
- This will be a multi-vendor event that will allow the food truck community to come together and provide good food and a great customer experience for the businesses and employees in the Greater Downtown Area.
Pepsi Pops – Ridgeland – Friday
- The concert on the Barnett Reservoir caps the MSO season with the bang of fireworks and the twin pull of winning tunes and a beautiful setting. This year’s concert features selections from James Bond films, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lord of the Rings, The Muppets, Evita and Harry Potter.
Night Cap – Jackson – Friday
- Celebrate “601 Day Weekend” with none other than DJ T-Money in Jackson’s popular downtown hangout!
Ring of Fire: The Music of Johnny Cash – Jackson – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- More than two dozen classic hits—including “I Walk the Line,” “A Boy Named Sue,” “Folsom Prison Blues,” and the title tune—paint a musical portrait of The Man in Black that promises to be a foot-stompin’, crowd-pleasin’ salute to a unique musical legend!
Cathead Jam – Jackson – Friday & Saturday
- Cathead Jam returns to Jackson, Mississippi, promising an experience like no other. Featured artist include: Goose, The Flaming Lips, Shakey Graves, Larkin Poe, Cimafunk, The Band of Heathens, and Daniel Donato’s Cosmic Country
Mack Daddy Live – Natchez – Friday & Saturday
- Mack Daddy will perform at Magnolia Bluffs Casino.
This Is Home: Medgar Evers, Mississippi, and the Movement exhibit – Jackson – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- This exhibit marks the 60th anniversary of the assassination of Medgar Evers by examining the life, death, and impact of the civil rights hero.
Permian Monsters: Life Before the Dinosaurs Exhibit – Jackson – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Step back in time nearly 300 million years when bizarre-looking animals dominated life on land and sea. Learn about the greatest extinction the world has ever seen.
Exhibition: Splash & Bubbles: Dive In, Lend a Fin! – Jackson – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- Join Splash, Bubbles and the Reeftown Rangers to explore marine biology, ocean science and different ocean ecosystems at the Mississippi Children’s Museum.
Mississippi Farmers Market – Jackson – Saturday
- From persimmons to peaches, from bok choy to butter beans, the Mississippi Farmers Market is the one place to go for the freshest fruits and vegetables that are grown in the state. This will also be the Summer Kickoff for the farmers market.
Magnolia Sunset Markets – Jackson – Saturday
- The Magnolia Sunset Markets is an outdoor, spaced-out curated marketplace filled with local, state, and regional artisans, food, and music.
Fun Day 3K – Jackson – Saturday
- The Methodist Children’s Homes “Fun Day 3K” event will feature food trucks, music, and kids’ activities to keep the fun going all day long.
JXN Run Club 601 Weekend 5K Run – Jackson – Saturday
- This thrilling event will bring together runners from all over the city for a smooth 3.1 mile run through the heart of Jackson.
Saturday Morning Cartoons – Clinton – Saturday
- On the first Saturday of each month, Clinton will be showing a variety of train-themed cartoons at Olde Towne Depot, and the toy train will be out for play during this come-and-go event.
The Clinton Ink Slingers – Clinton – Saturday
- The Clinton Ink-Slingers meet the third Saturday of each month through October at the Clinton Visitor Center.
Central Mississippi Acoustic Music Association – Clinton – Saturday
- You will enjoy a mix of folk, country, and blue-grass music by talented local musicians.
White Linen Night – Natchez – Saturday
- Dress in white and stroll down the cordoned-off 100th block of N. Commerce Street. Admire the art featured in galleries and shops for the event. There will be vendors and music.
Ladies Night: The Stage Play – Jackson – Saturday
- Ladies Night is an all new hot and hilarious urban stage play with R&B and Soul as its soundtrack – and riveting drama at the forefront.
601 Day at Belhaven Town Center – Jackson – Sunday
- The event will include giveaways and 601JXN Day branded merch for sale!
The Mississippi Old-Time Music Society – Clinton – Sunday
- The group is dedicated to the preservation of old-time string music.
Shade Tree Musicians – Clinton – Sunday
- The Sunday jam session invites the public to join with an instrument or sing along. You will hear acoustic country, bluegrass, and gospel music.
Vicksburg Honors Medgar & Myrlie Evers – Vicksburg – Sunday
- Myrlie Evers and the Evers family will be presented with a plaque in their honor. At the conclusion of the program, a caravan of justice will take program attendees on a tour through significant areas of Mrs. Myrlie Evers’ childhood.
Disney’s Beauty and the Beast featuring The Hub City Players – Hattiesburg – Friday & Saturday
- In celebration of the musical’s 30th anniversary, this beloved ‘tale as old as time’ will be presented in epic fashion with an enormous singing and dancing cast, elaborate sets and costumes, and a full orchestra.
Rainbows and Tornadoes: The Mystical World of Branch Art Exhibit – Hattiesburg – Friday & Saturday
- Guests who attend the exhibit will escape into the creative mind of Al Branch, a naturally gifted multi-media artist who created portraitures, abstracts, genre art, naturalistic wildlife and fanciful book illustrations.
New Exhibit at Hattiesburg Pocket Museum – Hattiesburg – Friday, Saturday & Sunday
- The Hattiesburg Pocket Museum has a new exhibit every month, so be sure to head downtown for a small surprise!
FestivalFibers – Hattiesburg – Saturday
- Be the first to meet the FestivalSouth featured artist, Hattiesburg’s own Martha Ginn, and enjoy her collection created exclusively for this summer’s festival.
Ryan Hamilton live at the Hattiesburg Saenger Theater – Hattiesburg – Saturday
- Ryan’s one-hour Netflix stand-up special, Happy Face, has been reviewed as “the special you can’t watch enough times.” This has been followed by a wealth of television appearances and a non-stop headlining tour.
Vintage Tea Party with Cup & Saucer Traveling Tea Room – Hattiesburg – Saturday
- Put on your pearls and enjoy a full three-course tea service.
Play Outside Day – Ellisville – Saturday
- The Ellisville Branch Library will provide various outdoor toys such as hula hoops, jump ropes, chalk, hopscotch, bubbles, jumbo connect 4, etc.
Community Bike Ride – Hattiesburg – Saturday
- Participants can bring their own bikes and helmets, but those without a bike can rent from the Gateway.
Kids’ Arts Festival – Hattiesburg – Saturday
- The Kids’ Arts Festival is a free come-and-go event for kids of all ages.
Get Crafty: Friendship Bracelets – Laurel – Saturday
- Learn to braid a colorful bracelet for yourself or to give to a friend! All materials are included.
Open Mic Night at Lee’s Coffee & Tea – Laurel – Saturday
- Local musicians, poets, etc. come and perform original material, as well as covers, for a laid-back, supportive audience.
The (Not So) Silent Movie – Hattiesburg – Sunday
- Douglas Rust has been accompanying silent films at The University of Southern Mississippi for eight years and is a regular featured performer at the annual Plaza Classic Film Festival in Texas. Currently serving as organist at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Hattiesburg, Dr. Rust has played the organ for a variety of churches over the years.