Jackson family left with nothing after fire destroys apartment complex

Local News

JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – A Jackson family still needs a place to live after an apartment fire at Pebble Creek Apartments Thursday evening.

“It started in this fourth apartment and they couldn’t contain the fire, and it just burnt the whole section down,” said Myesha Wesley.

According to officials, the fire spread quickly after a child who was playing with a candle dropped it on a bed.

“We lost everything we had, you know; pictures, personal items that were important to my family and stuff,” Wesley said.

She was asleep when the fire started, but she woke up to the sound of a neighbor banging on her door. Wesley, along with her four kids, boyfriend, mom and brother, were able to escape safely, but she lost everything in the fire.

“By the time I looked out the window, their whole apartment was already engulfed and in flames. The windows were already busting out of it. So I really just couldn’t think of nothing else to do but get out, but by the time we got out and looked back, everything else was already catching on fire.”

Wesley had only been living in the apartment eight months. She said everything happens for a reason but that doesn’t take away from her pain.

“Everything in that house, I had just bought when I moved in. My kids bed, mattresses, clothes everything. I only have what I got on right now. Like I don’t have ID’s, I don’t have anything,” she stated.

Wesley said she’s still in shock at it all, but is trying to stay positive.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories