JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – On Wednesday, Congressman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) announced that Mississippi’s 2nd Congressional District will receive more than $100 million in emergency funding for colleges, universities, and students under the American Rescue Plan.
The funding will help local institutions cope with the severe financial fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic and continue serving their students safely, according to Thompson. At least half of the funding each institution receives will be distributed in the form of emergency cash assistance grants to students who are facing hunger, homelessness, and other hardships.
The colleges and universities in Mississippi’s 2nd District receiving funding under the American Rescue Plan are:
- Alcorn State University: $15,634,269
- Belhaven University: $7,057,174
- Coahoma Community College: $7,423,669
- Copiah-Lincoln Community College: $7,046,632
- Delta State University: $7,532,196
- Hinds Community College: $35,133,504
- Holmes Community College: $13,323,521
- Jackson State University: $23,518,059
- Millsaps College: $2,063,598
- Mississippi Delta Community College: $8,335, 569
- Mississippi Valley State University: $8,404,710
- Tougaloo College: $4,053,573