JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Congressman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) is calling on the U.S. Coast Guard to remove all Confederate battle flags from military bases and government-owned housing.
Thompson sent a letter to Commandant Admiral Schultz requesting that the Coast Guard prohibit display at installations, cutters, boats, aircraft and government-owned housing after the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps decided to ban Confederate flags.
“Current Coast Guard policy on this issue gives commanders discretion in the handling of Confederate battle flag displays. I urge the Service to instead ban the display of the flag and ensure discipline for military members or civilian employees who disobey such a ban,” said Thompson.
Thompson’s full statement is as follows:
- Jackson native Wilson Furr advances to round of 32 at U.S. Amateur Championship
- Hall of Fame Profile: Antonio McDyess
- Family now seeks justice after Wilson boy killed, man captured
- Missing Brownsville woman found dead in Matamoros
- Second stimulus check: Where Biden, Harris stand on COVID payment proposals