JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) is hosting the inaugural Mississippi Literacy Summit on September 13th – 14th, 2019. The event will be held at the Jackson Convention Center.
The theme for the 2019 summit is “A Shared Commitment to Literacy: Improving Literacy Outcomes for ALL from Birth to the Workforce.”
MDE intends for parents, educators, community partners, and policy makers to discuss strategies for supporting and improving literacy success for Mississippi students.
Luis Versalles of the Pacific Educational Group and Dr. Karen Mapp of the Harvard Graduate School of Education are among the keynote speakers who will be featured during the summit.
Summit sessions include but are not limited to:
- Establishing Family Routines and Activities to Help Your Child
- Information About Special Services
- Graduation Options
- Literacy in the Home
- Teacher Shortage and the Impact on Literacy Achievement
- Addressing Dyslexia through Legislation and Policy
- The Impact of Literacy Rates on the Economy
- Introduction to MS Campaign for Grade Level Reading
- Five Components of Reading
- MS Succeeds Report Card
- Stages of Reading Development and Support (Middle and High)
- Social Emotional Learning and the Effect on Literacy
- Growth Gap
To see the agenda for the summit click here.
Registration information can be found here.