JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – U.S. Representative Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) announced the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Transit Administration has awarded $624,496 in grant funds to the South Central Community Action Agency. The funds were awarded through the Helping Obtain Prosperity for Everyone (HOPE) Program.
The South Central Community Action Agency (SCCAA) near Jackson will use funding to test the feasibility of an integrated electronic fare payment system for riders of eight partner agencies in rural Mississippi.
The system will provide a universal payment card for unbanked riders to pay fares via cash, mobile device or web, including subsidies, to travel anywhere in the partner areas covering 9,000 square miles.
- Miami to South Texas: sailors hope to train future Mars astronauts, dock near SpaceX
- Poor People’s Campaign planning online mass assembly in June
- Prescribed fire scheduled for Mississippi’s Deer Island
- Man hospitalized after shooting on Woodbury Rd.
- Should states regulate marijuana by its potency? Some say yes