JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – U.S. Representative Bennie G. Thompson (D-Miss.) announced the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Transit Administration has awarded $624,496 in grant funds to the South Central Community Action Agency. The funds were awarded through the Helping Obtain Prosperity for Everyone (HOPE) Program.
The South Central Community Action Agency (SCCAA) near Jackson will use funding to test the feasibility of an integrated electronic fare payment system for riders of eight partner agencies in rural Mississippi.
The system will provide a universal payment card for unbanked riders to pay fares via cash, mobile device or web, including subsidies, to travel anywhere in the partner areas covering 9,000 square miles.
- Five cases to watch as a conservative Supreme Court begins its new term
- Sacheen Littlefeather, who declined Brando’s Oscar, dies at 75
- Watch: By boat and jet ski, volunteers assist in Ian rescue efforts
- It’s flu vaccine time and seniors need revved-up shots
- Nobel prize in medicine awarded for research on evolution