AUSTIN, Texas — Texas has reported its biggest daily increase in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases — 8,258. Hospitalizations also continue to climb.
Much of Texas began mandating face coverings Friday on the orders of Gov. Greg Abbott. The mask order carries a $250 fine. The order is the most dramatic about-face that Abbott has made as he retreats from what stood out as one of America’s swiftest reopenings.
Texas health officials on Saturday said the state’s total number of confirmed coronavirus cases is now at 191,790. State health officials also reported 33 additional deaths linked to COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus. That brings Texas’ total to 2,608 deaths. Hospitalizations stood at 7,890 on Saturday, an increase of 238 from Friday.
- Three officers charged with second-degree murder
- Cinemark Pearl and XD Reopens
- Police: Homicide of 3-year-old disguised as hot car death
- UPDATE: Overwhelming response to boy’s search for a family, ‘I hope one of y’all pick me’
- Over $470k donated after North Carolina boy fatally shot at point-blank range while playing