According to Elko police, on the evening of Nov. 1, officers were called to the fast food restaurant for a report of someone who shot a worker.
Police believe 24-year-old Justin Michael Mullis, of Winnemucca, walked up to the drive-thru window and fired through it, striking a 16-year-old girl who was working there, then fleeing.
She was later identified by police as Elko high school student Kylee Leniz.
Investigators released a surveillance image of a “person of interest” in the killing, warning the public that he was “armed and dangerous.”
On Nov. 2, police said they had arrested Mullis who was charged with one count of open murder and booked into the Elko Jail.
Police described the shooting as a “random” attack, saying they didn’t think Mullis knew Leniz.
- MARCH MADNESS: Raymond and Lanier advance to 4A championship
- Jackson native Dante Brown wins SEC 60M championship
- Bodies of father, two sons found in Benton County, investigation ongoing
- Southern Miss to resume In person courses come Fall 2021
- COVID-19 relief package moves to Senate, faces GOP opposition