SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – A former police officer who terrorized California as a serial burglar and rapist and killed more than a dozen people has pleaded guilty to murders attributed to the Golden State Killer.
Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. had remained almost silent in court since his 2018 arrest until he repeatedly uttered the word “guilty” Monday. He acknowledged he would plead guilty to 13 murders and admit to dozens of rapes.
The plea agreement spares him the death penalty for a life sentence with no chance of parole. Prosecutors say DeAngelo muttered to himself after being arrested about an inner personality that had forced him to commit the crimes.
- ‘Back to the Future’ DeLorean, Batmobile and Ectomobile replicas put up for sale by US Marshals
- BIG EAST latest conference to only compete within the conference this fall
- Mississippi Choctaws to offer Wi-Fi access in Tribal Schools
- Jackson police respond to shooting on Queen Eleanor Lane
- Two City of Hattiesburg employees test positive for COVID-19