JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – Leaders of an organization want student loans to be canceled.
Student Loan Justice founder, Alan Collinge, said the student loan debt has grown to nearly $2 trillion in the United States. He called it a failed lending system by the federal government.
Collinge claims students in the State of Mississippi owe $18 billion in student loan debt, while students in the City of Jackson alone owe $1 billion.
“One in seven Americans owe in student loans. The population of Mississippi is three million people, so that’s about 430,000 people owing an average about $40,000 a piece.”
Collinge wants President Donald Trump to cancel student loans by executive order.
- Pedestrian hit and killed on S. Gallatin Street in Jackson
- NewsNation/Emerson poll: Biden has slight lead over President Trump
- Here’s what you need to know for the first 2020 presidential election debate
- Queen Elizabeth II to trim costs as COVID-19 hits income
- Health Care Heroes: Medicare University