PASCAGOULA, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi man was fatally shot by police Wednesday night after he came toward officers with a knife, authorities said.
Pascagoula Police Chief Matt Chapman said officers were responding to a call regarding a suicidal person around 8:15 p.m., WLOX-TV reported.
Chapman said a man was armed with a knife. Officers instructed him to drop the knife but he refused. The man began to approach the officers, and one of them shot him. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
Details regarding the incident and the man’s name weren’t immediately released.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting.
- Lily Pad Cafe Opening to Provide Jobs for Special Needs
- Local inventor fights against COVID-19 with the creation of a face shield
- U.S. Senator Roger Wicker supports efforts to fill vacancy of Supreme Court
- Cities creating racial ‘healing’ committees to confront past
- Walmart, Amazon among donors to QAnon-promoting lawmaker