JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – After accepting more than 100 different namesake nominations and choosing six semifinalists, Power APAC Elementary School in Jackson has a new namesake.
According to Representative Zakiya Summers, the school will be named after Ida B. Wells.
The three finalist were between Richard Wright, who was an author, Margaret Walker Alexander, who was an author, and Ida B. Wells, who was a journalist and activist.
The Renaming Committee established the following nomination guidelines for the new namesake. They must:
- Be deceased.
- Have a strong connection to Mississippi.
- Be committed to academic and arts education.
- Be relevant to students and create a sense of pride for them.
- West Jackson homeowners thankful to survive tornado day before Thanksgiving
- CDC considering shortening quarantine time for COVID-19 exposure
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, essential workers among list of Time Person of the Year reader poll nominees
- Doctor shares video showing what COVID patients see in final moments
- Traveling nurse gets shocking diagnosis while helping with coronavirus efforts in North Dakota