JACKSON, Miss. (WJTV) – After accepting more than 100 different namesake nominations and choosing six semifinalists, Power APAC Elementary School in Jackson has a new namesake.
According to Representative Zakiya Summers, the school will be named after Ida B. Wells.
The three finalist were between Richard Wright, who was an author, Margaret Walker Alexander, who was an author, and Ida B. Wells, who was a journalist and activist.
The Renaming Committee established the following nomination guidelines for the new namesake. They must:
- Be deceased.
- Have a strong connection to Mississippi.
- Be committed to academic and arts education.
- Be relevant to students and create a sense of pride for them.
- MARCH MADNESS: Raymond and Lanier advance to 4A championship
- Jackson native Dante Brown wins SEC 60M championship
- Bodies of father, two sons found in Benton County, investigation ongoing
- Southern Miss to resume In person courses come Fall 2021
- COVID-19 relief package moves to Senate, faces GOP opposition