Search of collapsed hotel could become recovery mission

News

New Orleans officials say the chances of a missing worker's survival after a hotel collapse are diminishing.

NEW ORLEANS (AP) – New Orleans officials say the chances of a missing worker’s survival after a hotel collapse are diminishing, and they may soon shift from rescue to recovery mode.

News outlets report Fire Department Superintendent Tim McConnell says it could happen late Wednesday or Thursday morning.

One worker was previously confirmed dead inside the rubble but crews have not been able to recover the body. Another worker is still missing, but McConnell says chances of his survival will be considered nearly “zero” if no sign of him turns up by Wednesday night. The workers’ families have been notified.

A large section of a Hard Rock Hotel under construction beside New Orleans’ historic French Quarter collapsed Saturday

Meanwhile, officials said the possibility of further collapse at the site remains a concern.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories