Squirrel to Blame for Raymond Grass Fire

News

Raymond, Miss – Raymond firefighters put out a grass fire before noon Friday on Highway 18 at Seven Springs Road. Assistant Fire Chief Joey Jamison says it was a squirrel that started the fire. Jamison showed WJTV the squirrel, which was found after the fire was put out, “It is a little strange but kind of common. Squirrels can cause lots of power outages.”

Jamison says the squirrel likely touched a power line and something else and was electrocuted. That caused power to go out in Raymond and at Hinds Community College. Jarvis Loftin is a student at HCC, “The power went out and usually we use power points so we had no class. I mean God is good.”

Jamison says the grassfire is no laughing matter because Hinds County, like many other surrounding counties, is under a burn ban, “Please don’t burn. No outside burning. You can grill but if you grill please make sure you’re letting your grill cool down. Dispose of coals properly but no outside fires right now.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories