HATTIESBURG, Miss.(WHLT) - A Jackson State University student is hoping to fulfill his dreams of driving his own car- regardless of his physical challenges.
Since 7-years-old Rashad Maury has relied on family to get around.
Maury was born with deformed limbs, confining him to a wheelchair. However, he hasn't let this small challenge get in the way. Maury says, he's active in the band and he's currently interning at Hattiesburg High School with the football team, which is keeping him busy.
"I’m pretty active nowadays... it’s no excuses out here. You gotta get it how get it,” he said.
On his bucket list is getting behind the wheel. Maury says it's been a dream of his since high school.
He started a GoFundMe to raise $8,000, and so far he's raised over $600.
Maury plans to buy a van and fully customize it so he travel with his electric wheelchair.
If you would like to read more about Rashad Maury's story or contribute to his GoFundMe, click here.
- Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Gala opens countdown to 50th anniversary of 1st moon landing
- Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff was feuding with grandmother
- Corvette Club raises money for Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi
- Students gather for 3rd Annual Back to School Jam